Using the ABC’s and 123’s!! Video Part 5!!

Hi Everyone!!  As I continue my Video Series on learning to sewing featuring the Singer Quantum Stylist 9960, it’s time to show you the built in alphabets and letter stitching options.

Personalized items are very popular at the moment and this machine has the capability of producing professional looking results.  There are 5 built in alphabets to choose from that include upper and lower case letters, numbers, punctuation marks and characters that are used for other languages.  Below I’ve stitched out each of the 4 English letter fonts so you can see what the upper and lower case letters and numbers look like when stitched out.  Each upper case letter is about 3/8″ high and each lower case letter is about 1/4″ high.  All the numbers are about 3/8″ high.  The letters are numbers are all preset in the machine and are not able to be resized.

Gothic letter stitch

Script letter stitch

Italic letter stitch

Outline letter stitch

The last built in letter stitching option is the Russian letter font.  I didn’t do a demo stitch out of that font because it wasn’t an alphabet that I found to be something I would use.

The machine has the memory capability of storing 60 characters at a time for stitching a name, date, phrase or anything your choose.  The potential is unlimited when adding any of the decorative stitch motifs as I did in the video.  I find it helpful to actually stitch out a demo on the live video so you can see how to insert your fabric into the machine, exactly how the letters stitch out, and what the machine will look like and sound like while it’s stitching.

I hope you find this video helpful if you’re interested in exploring your machines letter stitch and decorative motif options.  Be brave and try out decorative patterns and threads.  With the Holiday’s right around the corner, imagine how nice it would be to personalize gifts this year for your friends and family.

Thanks for all the emails, messages and comments you continuously send.  I appreciate all of you that follow, subscribe and “like” my efforts!!  Have a Happy Creative Day!!

Roxanne

UPDATE:  I added a Picture Tutorial:  Decorative Stitching Holiday Project to compliment the information in this video.

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Google+
RSS
INSTAGRAM
This entry was posted in built in letter stitches, how to use decorative stitches, learn how to sew, Singer 9960, Singer 9970, Singer Quantum Stylist 9960, Strikes My Fancy, video series, Youtube. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Using the ABC’s and 123’s!! Video Part 5!!

1. Miriam says:

Thanks for sharing the alphabet and number stitching on your machine. It does a very nice job. Enjoy your series a lot.

2. Thanks Miriam! Glad you're enjoying it!!

3. Sandra says:

Hi Roxanne! Me again 🙂 Thank you very much for this tutorial. I was looking up and down for a way to space the words, didn't find it so stitched one word at a time lol You're Godsend. I'm enjoying very much my new machine, next step is to do something quilted with the proper foot, last time I made one using the A foot, and it turned out lovely anyway.

4. You're welcome, Sandra. Several people posted questions about how to use the letter stitching on Singer's FB wall, so I thought it would be helpful to explain it in a video. 🙂

5. Anonymous says:

The Fonts are very small,can the size be increased?

6. Anonymous says:

Much more helpful than Singer Co. Thank you.

7. No, unfortunately they can't be resized. They are preset in the machine.

8. D Johnson says:

How do you prevent it from undoing your letters when you trim the jump stitches?

9. Hi D. If the jump stitches are very close together, I may not cut them. If you choose to cut them and are concerned about unraveling, try a drop of fray check.

10. Anonymous says:

OMG! I can't thank you enough for posting this and all of your youtube videos on this sewing machine! You have been awesomely helpful!!!!

11. MAC says:

Would you please explain how to put a return at the end of a multiline saying? I'm trying to sew on a short poem.

12. Hi MAC! I would suggest doing a test of each line of text. Measure each line in succession for length. Create a center line and then plug in each line length for a beginning mark. I did this and it worked perfectly.

13. nahla rashad says:

Hi Roxanne. I cannot thank you enough for all your YouTube in this machine. I just bought one this past weekend ( I guess I am few years behind ) and I am looking forward to use king it on my upcoming grand daughter. Thank you and I am going through all your videos. Amazing and thank you

14. Hi Nahla! Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving such a kind comment! So happy to hear you're enjoying my videos! Happy Sewing!

15. Carrie says:

I am interested in doing appliqué for a quilt top. Can you help me figure out th best way to use this machine singer quantum 9960 to do this? I was hoping to use a stitch that looks like a hand appliqué the long stitch and then the side stitch. I have a photo that better describes the look. Hoping you can help I am at a loss.

• RoxanneStitches says:

HI Carrie. There are many stitches on the 9960 for stitching applique. The most common is the zigzag stitch. If you want a satin stitch, set the length of the stitch to a short setting. There’s also that blanket stitch which looks great too.