Change in LFJ Plans….

LFJ Progress Week 1:


What’s the old saying??  “Sometimes even the best laid plans go awry….”  something to that effect??  Well, my LFJ plan has changed.  Not drastically, but the pattern has changed.  Last week, when I started measuring my pattern for fitting, I realized that I chose a pattern with a shoulder princess seam line.  I decided that I didn’t want to have a break in my fabric at the shoulder point, that a princess line coming from the arm hole would be a better choice.  So…..off to select another pattern.

 
This is my new pattern.  New Look 6028.
 
 
What I liked about this pattern is that it has a somewhat of a traditional Chanel silhouette but also has a v neck option and a short sleeve option.  Unfortunately this pattern doesn’t have a 2 piece sleeve. Since this is my first attempt at constructing this type of jacket with couture techniques,  I will give that challenge a try next time around with the original Vogue Pattern #7975 I purchased.
 
For week 1 on the LFJ Sew-along, it was our homework to measure and fit our patterns by making a fitting muslin of our jackets. My pattern was easy to fit and measure so I feel I’m good to go on to week 2. My muslin needed some minor corrections and I transferred those back onto my paper pattern.  My pattern is ready to go on now for the second week of the Sew-along.  Please check out the week 2 post by Liesa from A Challenging Sew.  She details the next step on how to mark your fabric for cutting.  I have to admit that just the thought of cutting into my beautiful fabric is scary!!  BUT with this method there seems to be lots of room for making minor corrections later.
 
This jacket pattern is a very simplistic version of the Iconic Chanel Jacket.  It’s a little more “hip” and more my style.  The neckline is more open, it’s a little shorter in the length and slightly fitted through the body instead of the boxy look.  So this is a winner for me.  This jacket has 5 pattern pieces but I considered splitting the center back of the jacket into 2 sections to get a nicer fit.  In the end, I decided not to do this because I didn’t like the look of a center back seam with this fabric.  There no way to match the colors since there’s no real pattern repeat and it would make the center back seam look to obvious.  So I kept the original pattern of 2 center fronts, 2 side fronts, 2 side backs, 1 center back sections and 2 sleeves.  I did however adjust the side back seam to create a more fitted silhouette which is more flattering for my taste. 
 
I found my lining!!  The most beautiful shade of Royal Blue/Purple.  It’s Charmeuse and I think it compliments my fabric beautifully!!  I see it’s needed for week 2 homework. 
 
 
 
I hope all of you that are participating in this sew-along are feeling confident and are working your way along as I am.  I can see why this method takes so long.  Super labor intensive, however I can see it will a be worth it when we slip on our perfectly tailored Little French Jackets!!  I will be posting my Week 2 progress soon as I continue with this sew-along. 
 
Have a Happy Creative Day!!
 
Roxanne
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Please follow and like us:
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
Google+
Follow by Email
RSS
INSTAGRAM
This entry was posted in A Challenging Sew, basting, Chanel inspired jacket, Chanel Jacket, fitting, hand sewing, Haute Couture, Little French Jacket Sew along, New Look Pattern, princess line, Strikes My Fancy, Susan Khalje, Thewallinna. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Change in LFJ Plans….

  1. Virginia says:

    Love the lining you chose. This jacket is going to be perfect.

  2. Can't wait to see it!

  3. Thanks, me too!! I've got a long way to go……

Leave a Reply